Whatever Happened to the Classroom Turtle?
Discover how to improve students’ well-being and achievement by reintroducing animals into 21st century classrooms. Increase student engagement and academic success with hands-on learning involving class pets.
- Become familiar with the numerous benefits that having animals and class pets in the classroom provides.
- Study the various obstacles that might prevent educators from keeping animals in their classroom and learn how to overcome those obstacles to achieve hands-on learning.
- Discover a step-by-step process for bringing animals into the classroom in a way that enriches students’ lives through experiential learning.
- Learn the biology and life sciences of certain classroom pets, pertinent state laws regarding the use of classroom pets, and the process of keeping and caring for the animal.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: The Need for and Benefits of Animals in the Classroom
Chapter 2: Hurdles to Animals in the Classroom
Chapter 3: How to Select the Perfect Animal
Chapter 4: How to Locate Animals
Chapter 5: How to Write Lesson Plans
Appendix A: Tips
Appendix B: How to Create Self-Sustaining Food Sources for Your Classroom Animal
- Figure 2.2: Classroom Animal Care Data Sheet
- Figure 2.3: Rules for Pet Care Hand Washing
- Figure 3.1: Animals in the Classroom Allergy Questionnaire for Parents
- Figure 5.1: Animal Maintenance Scale
- Figure 5.2: Habitat Cost Sheet
- Figure 5.3: Food Cost Sheet
- Figure 5.4: Sample Animal Services Application Form
- American Humane
- American Pet Products Association
- Avian and Exotic Pet Care
- Bat Country Pet Sitting
- Eco Adventures
- Pet Industry Distributors Association
- Pet Sitter
- Pets in the Classroom, “Grant Process”
- World Pet Association
- Animal Legal and Historical Center, “State Endangered Species Chart”
- Animal Planet, “Endangered Species”
- International Union for Conservation of Nature, “Resources"
- Monarch Butterfly
- National Geographic, “Resource Library—Endangered Species”
- Pets in the Classroom
- Praying Mantis, “Praying Mantis Life Cycle—Facts, Diagram, Stages, Video"
- Study.com, “Praying Mantis Lesson Plan”
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services
- U.S. Fish and Wildlife Services, “Endangered Species Act”
- World Wildlife Fund, “Educational Resources”
- BrainPOP Educators, “Lesson Planning”
- Education.com, “Lesson Plans”
- National Association of Biology Teachers, “Resource Links”
- Pets in the Classroom, “Pets in the Classroom Teacher Lesson Plans—Agreement”
- Sunshine State Animal Rescue