The Deliberate and Courageous Principal Reproducibles
Ten Leadership Actions and Skills to Create High-Achieving Schools
Fully step into your power as a school principal. By diving deep into five essential leadership actions and five essential leadership skills, you will learn how to grow in your role and accomplish incredible outcomes for your students and staff.
- Study the five essential actions and five essential skills all leaders must adopt to develop successful, high-achieving schools.
- Discover how to create a collective vision and learn next steps to move progress forward.
- Observe strategies to maintain a positive outlook as you hone your leadership skills.
- Review the most effective ways to manage time, organize meetings, and address other common concerns shared by principals at every level.
- Receive reflection questions, next steps, and reproducible templates to deepen understanding of effective leadership.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Part 1: Essential Leadership Actions
Chapter 1: Establish a Vision Focused on Learning
Chapter 2: Clarify the Essential Work
Chapter 3: Create Teams to Move the Work Forward
Chapter 4: Take Action Instead of Being Busy
Chapter 5: Lead Effective Meetings
Part 2: Essential Leadership Skills
Chapter 6: Build Relationships
Chapter 7: Reframe Conflict
Chapter 8: Hold People Accountable
Chapter 9: Lean Into the Positive
Chapter 10: Turn Inward
- Establish Your School’s Vision
- Academic Core Reflection Questions and Strategies
- Vision Brainstorming Template
- Figure 2.4: Principal Playbook Page Template
- Systems Review Checklist
- Systems Next Steps Chart
- Principal Playbook Semester Goals
- Key Foundations of the Leadership Team
- Activities for Building the Leadership Team
- Teacher Leader Team Rating Template
- Reflection Questions for Managing Time Effectively
- Reflection Questions for Managing Time Effectively With Systems
- Template for Goal Setting With Noncertified Staff
- Figure 5.1: Weekly Office Team Meeting Action Plan
- Six Meetings Checklist
- Six Meetings Review Chart With Notes
- Self-Rating Scale for Meetings
- Part 1 Final Reflection and Next Steps: Essential Leadership Actions—Be Deliberate!
- Self-Rating Scale for Trust-Building Measures
- Real Dialogue Practice Sheet
- Top-Ten Expectations Template
- Writing Prompts for Developing Your Conflict-Framing Skills
- Decision-Making Process Template
- Two Steps to Identify Undiscussables
- Writing Prompts for Developing Your Skill of Holding People Accountable
- Start With Why Template
- Accountability Checklist and Reflection
- Six Tools to Lean Into the Positive
- Leading With Positive Tools Rating Chart
- Holding the Good Stuff: Two Simple Steps
- Personal Playbook Template
- Get Quiet and Just Breathe: Two Exercises
- Journal Ideas: Clear Your Mind of Clutter
- Part 2 Final Reflection and Next Steps: Essential Leadership Skills—Be Courageous!
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by doing: A handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Eaker, R. (1998) Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best practices for enhancing student achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Marzano, R. (2011). Leaders of learning: How district, school, and classroom leaders improve student achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J., Warrick, P., & Simms, J. A. (2014). A handbook for High Reliability Schools: The next step in school reform. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Muhammad, A. (2018). Transforming school culture: How to overcome staff division (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Van Soelen, T. M. (2021). Meeting goals: Protocols for leading effective, purpose driven discussions in schools. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Wiliam, D. (2018). Embedded formative assessment (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Williams, K. C., & Hierck, T. (2015). Starting a movement: Building culture from the inside out in professional learning communities. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.