Elevate School-Based Professional Learning
Empower teachers to design, implement, and evaluate their own school-based professional learning to improve collective teacher efficacy and impact student achievement. This book offers tools and strategies for creating effective school professional development that most directly ties to daily application of skills.
- Collaboratively study and solve issues unique to each school.
- Conduct professional learning and skill application in tandem.
- Access collaborative learning tools and techniques for implementing, assessing, maintaining, growing, and reflecting on school-based professional learning.
- Learn how to collect and analyze data to determine the focus of school-based professional learning.
- Understand how to reach learning goals by developing essential knowledge, attitudes, skills, aspirations, and behaviors.
- Gain insight into the personal and systemwide benefits of school-based professional learning and how to meet and move beyond the challenges of implementing this model.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Part 1: Understanding School-Based Professional Learning
Chapter 1: Discovering Why School-Based Professional Learning Works
Chapter 2: Sharing Responsibility for School-Based Professional Learning
Part 2: Working Through the School-Based Professional Learning Cycle
Chapter 3: Analyzing Data to Design School-Based Learning
Chapter 4: Preparing to Design School-Based Professional Learning
Chapter 5: Planning School-Based Professional Learning
Chapter 6: Implementing and Supporting the Plan
Chapter 7: Monitoring and Measuring
Chapter 8: Reporting and Celebrating Success
Chapter 9: Reflecting on the Work
Part 3: Preparing for Challenges
Chapter 10: Facing Challenges
- Introduction to Elevate School-Based Professional Learning
- Assessing the Current State of School-Based Professional Learning
- Decision Making About School-Based Professional Learning
- Checklist of Roles and Responsibilities
- Roles for School-Based Professional Learning
- Staff Perception of Their Engagement in Decisions About Professional Learning
- Data-Driven Dialogue Note-Catcher
- Survey for Assessing School Culture
- Here’s What, So What, Now What?
- Figure 6.3: Sample Commitments for Accomplishing a Lead Indicator
- Psychological Safety Survey
- Planning Peer Classroom Visits
- Writing an Innovation Configuration Map
- Remember the Joy
- Setting Norms for Data-Analysis Meetings
- Writing Surveys
- Creating a Plan for Comprehensive or Rapid Cycles of Evaluation
- Bailey, K., & Jakicic, C. (2017). Simplifying common assessment: A guide for Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking action: A handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Conzemius, A. E., & O’Neill, J. (2014). The handbook for SMART school teams: Revitalizing best practices for collaboration (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by doing: A handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Mattos, M., & Muhammad, A. (2021). Revisiting Professional Learning Communities at Work: Proven insights for sustained, substantive school improvement (2nd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., & Eaker, R. (1998). Professional Learning Communities at Work: Best practices for enhancing student achievement. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Killion, J. (2022). Facing change. In J. Keating & J. K. Kullar (Eds.), Women who lead: Insights, inspiration, and guidance to grow as an educator. (pp. 33–52). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Kise, J. A. G., & Watterston, B. K. (2019). Step in, step up: Empowering women for the school leadership journey. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Shirley, D., & Hargreaves, A. (2021). Five paths of student engagement: Blazing the trail to learning and success. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.