Lead From the Start
How to Succeed as the New Principal of Your School
Whether you are a brand-new principal or an experienced leader in a new job, Lead From the Start will help you succeed in your role. Use this resource to overcome the biggest leadership challenges principals face, and gain firsthand knowledge from educators like you to form best management practices at your school.
- Develop an understanding of educational leadership as a skill that can be cultivated and improved.
- Study the greatest challenges that leaders face in the first few years in a new position and why success in these years is necessary for continued success.
- Study experience-backed lessons, strategies, and best practices that will improve your leadership skills and expand your management styles.
- Develop your own system of leadership that will empower you to overcome your school’s unique challenges and improve family and community engagement.
Get your copy today
TABLE OF CONTENTS
Chapter 1: Understand the Setting
Chapter 2: Prepare for Opening Day
Chapter 3: Build Educational Relationships
Chapter 4: Manage the Operation
Chapter 5: Codify Schoolwide Norms
Chapter 6: Develop Academic Systems
Chapter 7: Manage Your Staff
Chapter 8: Administer Your Budget
- Chapter 5 Reflection Questions
- Customizing Discipline and Behavior Systems
- Establishing Common Language
- Chapter 6 Reflection Questions
- Figure 6.1: Engagement Checklist for Effective Instruction
- Figure 6.2: Population Interaction Chart
- Initial Walkthrough Checklist
- Basic Budget Considerations
- Beginning-of-the-Year Preparations Checklist
- Facility Checklist
- Vendor and Subcontractor Contact List
- Budget Contact List
- School Income Template
- School Expenses Template
- Federal Funding Programs
- Title I Budget Template
- Buffum, A. G., Mattos, M. W., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking Action: A Handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Harlacher, J. E. (2015). Designing Effective Classroom Management. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Harlacher, J. E., & Rodriguez, B. J. (2017). An Educator’s Guide to Schoolwide Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.
- Marzano, R. J., Norford, J. S., & Ruyle, M. (2019). The New Art and Science of Classroom Assessment. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree.
- Marzano, R. J., Warrick, P. B., & Simms, J. A. (2014). A Handbook for High Reliability Schools: The Next Step in School Reform. Bloomington, IN: Marzano Resources.