Reading and Writing Strategies for the Secondary English Classroom in a PLC at Work®
Work in collaborative teams to close literacy achievement gaps and improve student skill development across grades 6–12. Utilize evidence-based reading interventions to meet Common Core’s reading, writing, and literacy standards.
- Examine the role that professional learning communities (PLCs) play in supporting and advancing the instructional practices of educators through collaborative teamwork.
- Discover ready-to-use, adaptable strategies to develop students’ prereading, during-reading, and post-reading skills through guided practice.
- Learn to enhance student writing competencies and create a common literacy language across all disciplines.
- Study techniques for providing immediate assistance and feedback to students.
- Receive guidance on designing and implementing assessments.
- Explore best practices for strengthening team collaboration.
Get your copy today
Table of Contents
Introduction: Every Teacher Is a Literacy Teacher
Chapter 1: Collaboration, Learning, and Results
Chapter 2: Foundational Literacy Triage
Chapter 3: Prereading
Chapter 4: During Reading
Chapter 5: Postreading
Chapter 6: Writing
Chapter 7: Assessment
- Figure 1.1: Content Standard–Analysis Tool
- Figure 1.2: Review Tool to Discern Whether Text Tasks Match Complex Disciplinary Literacy Demands
- Prereading Anticipation Guide
- Quick-Write Prompts
- Beliefs and Opinions Survey
- Text-Dependent Questioning
- Five Words Recording Sheet
- Student Self-Questioning Taxonomy
- Postreading Checklist
- 3–2–1 Example
- Two-Quote Paragraph Template
- Evaluating Claim Statements and Supporting Them With Evidence
- Narrative or Memoir Writing Exercise
- Rubric to Provide Timely and Effective Feedback
- Buffum, A., Mattos, M., & Malone, J. (2018). Taking Action: A Handbook for RTI at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Conzemius, A. E., & O’Neill, J. (2014). The Handbook for SMART School Teams: Revitalizing Best Practices for Collaboration. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work® (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Marzano, R. J. (2017). The New Art and Science of Teaching. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Adlai E. Stevenson High School, LibGuides, The Great Gatsby
- Amazon, The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian
- Barnes & Noble
- Google Classroom
- Lexile, “How to Get a Lexile Measure”
- Lexile & Quantile Tools
- Mastery Manager
- Reading Rockets
- Renaissance Learning
- YouTube, Inside Life on the Lakota Sioux Reservation: Hidden America—Children of the Plains (part 1 of 5)
- YouTube, On Reservations, At-Risk Native American Youths Find Few Places to Turn