This inspiring resource presents the concept of a heartprint—the distinctive impression that an educator’s heart leaves on students and colleagues during his or her professional career. The author writes in a conversational, humorous manner as he offers his own anecdotes and reflections to help readers uncover their professional impact and foster productive, heart-centered classrooms and schools.
- Examine five unique HEART aspects of your professional life: Happiness, Engagement, Alliances, Risk, and Thought.
- Reflect on your professional journey and discover your distinctive heartprint on your students and colleagues.
- Gain wisdom and inspirational insights for your work life from Dr. Kanold as well as dozens of thought leaders and researchers inside and outside of the educational profession.
- Take advantage of the opportunity to connect your professional life to each chapter and embed your personal and professional story into the book.
- Use the book as part of a professional group book study with your colleagues and friends at your school.
- Connect and reconnect to the emotion, passion, energy, growth, and collaborative intimacy expected when you choose to become part of the education profession.
Table of Contents PART 1: DEVELOPING HEART—H Is for Happiness
Chapter 1: The Happiness Dilemma PART 2: DEVELOPING HEART—E Is for Engagement
Chapter 2: The Happiness-Passion Connection
Chapter 3: What’s Love Got to Do With It?
Chapter 4: Got Compassion? Check!
Chapter 5: Wanted: Persons of Positive Character and Hope
Chapter 6: The Joy-Gratitude-Stability Connection
Chapter 7: Why Should We Weep?
Final Thoughts: The World Happiness Report
Chapter 8: Full Engagement Not Ahead PART 3: DEVELOPING HEART—A Is for Alliances
Chapter 9: Getting Engaged!
Chapter 10: It’s Energy, Not Time
Chapter 11: Name That Energy Quadrant
Chapter 12: Avoiding the Quadrant III Drift
Chapter 13: Quadrant II Time Required
Chapter 14: Grit: Deliberate Daily Practice
Final Thoughts: The MTXE Perspective
Chapter 15: The Primary Purposes of Collaboration PART 4: DEVELOPING HEART—R Is for Risk
Chapter 16: PLCs: Serving the Greater Good
Chapter 17: Oh, the Inequity Places We’ll Go!
Chapter 18: Reduce Our Professional Noise
Chapter 19: Relational Intelligence Required
Chapter 20: What Are Those Black Boxes?
Chapter 21: Celebration: Making Above and Beyond the Norm the Norm
Final Thoughts: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success
Chapter 22: What’s in a Goal? PART 5: DEVELOPING HEART—T Is for Thought
Chapter 23: Shared Purpose: Each and Every Child Can Learn
Chapter 24: Results or Persons?
Chapter 25: The Risk-Vision Dependency
Chapter 26: Build Trust the Millennial Way
Chapter 27: Fixed or Growth Mindset?
Chapter 28: Warning: Entropy Ahead!
Final Thoughts: A Sense of Urgency
Chapter 29: Your Great Adventure!
Chapter 30: Your Voice of Wisdom
Chapter 31: Clean Up the Climate
Chapter 32: Become a Feedback Fanatic
Chapter 33: Yours, Mine, and Ours
Final Thoughts: Hold the Mayo!
- DuFour, R. (2015). In Praise of American Educators: And How They Can Become Even Better. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., Many, T. W., & Mattos, M. (2016). Learning by Doing: A Handbook for Professional Learning Communities at Work (3rd ed.). Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Guskey, T. (2015). On Your Mark: Challenging the Conventions of Grading and Reporting. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Mattos, M., DuFour, R., DuFour, R., Eaker, R., & Many, T. W. (2016). Concise Answers to Frequently Asked Questions About Professional Learning Communities at Work. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Schimmer, T. (2016). Grading From the Inside Out: Bringing Accuracy to Student Assessment Through a Standards-Based Mindset. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
HEART! [DVD/CD/Facilitator’s Guide/Book]
- Boogren, T. H. (2018). The Beginning Teacher’s Field Guide: Embarking on Your First Years. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Boogren, T. H. (2018). Take Time For You: Self-Care Action Plans for Educators. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Kanold, T. D. (2011). The Five Disciplines of PLC Leaders. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.
- Kanold, T. D. (2017). HEART!: Fully Forming Your Professional Life as a Teacher and Leader. Bloomington, IN: Solution Tree Press.