Emily Feltner, EdD, works with schools and districts in the areas of leadership, literacy and school improvement. She currently serves as the assistant superintendent of teaching, learning and leadership for Lake County Schools in Florida.
Emily Feltner, EdD, has spent over two decades working with schools and districts in the areas of leadership, literacy and school improvement through the implementation of professional learning communities. Her work as teacher, coach, principal, district administrator and consultant allows her to see learning through various lenses. She currently serves as the assistant superintendent of teaching, learning, and leadership for Lake County Schools in Florida.
Dr. Feltner has worked with districts throughout the nation, coaching principals and district leaders in literacy leadership practices that support creating a professional learning community committed to a focus on learning, collaborative teams, and results. She conducts side-by-side coaching and demonstration lessons for teachers, and she helps leaders implement instructional coaching systems that support the shift to equitable, student-centered, collaborative classrooms.
Her experience in leading a school out of school improvement status allows her to support others on the same journey. The school moved from low performing to a school of distinction by developing a tiered coaching system for teachers, establishing weekly training in inclusive literacy, creating time for collaborative planning, developing common formative assessments, and implementing targeted intervention and acceleration time.
Dr. Feltner has presented throughout the United States and Canada on topics that include transforming district and school systems, literacy leadership, developing collaborative cultures, coaching for results and creating equitable and inclusive schools. She is a member of the Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD), Learning Forward, and the American Association of School Administrators (AASA). Her blog post titled “Reflections from Another PLC Institute” can be found on allthingsplc.info
Dr. Feltner earned her master’s degree in elementary education, and her specialist’s and doctorate degrees from Saint Louis University in educational leadership.
Presentations by Emily Feltner
- Identity in Literacy: The Urgent Call for Students to Authentically See Themselves
- Literacy is a Right, Not a Privilege: How to Lead for Equitable Schools
- Creating Readers for Life Through Authentic Literacy Experiences
- Read-Write-Think-Talk: The Importance of Collaboration in Literacy
- The Literate School: How to Create Classrooms Where Students Thrive
- Turning Striving Readers Into Thriving Learners
- Building Capacity for Literacy Leadership
- Focus: Aligning a District Through Vision and Expectations
- Cultivating a Culture of Connection
- Multi-Generational Leadership: Principal Actions for Inclusive Adult Cultures