Teaching in a Competency-Based Secondary School
The Marzano Academies Model
Marzano Resources presents a model of instruction for high school teachers that will aid in student learning, support individual growth, and foster community in competency-based education. Facilitators will use this definitive guide to implement research-based instructional strategy examples in the classroom.
Experience the convenience of eBooks! Access your eBooks anytime, anywhere on any desktop, Android, or iOS device through VitalSource. eBook purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. Please visit our FAQ for more information.
Your Definitive Guide to Maximize the Potential of a Solid Competency-Based Education Framework.
Improve your practice with a model of instruction for secondary teachers that facilitates student learning, supports individual growth, and fosters community in competency-based education (CBE) systems. Based on decades of research and practical experience, this definitive guide offers a detailed breakdown of the four domains, ten design areas, and forty-nine elements of effective teaching within the Marzano Academies instructional model.
Readers will ensure growth and learning for all students by:
- Understanding the tenets of competency-based education and its benefits
- Becoming familiar with the four domains, 10 design areas, and 49 elements of the Marzano Academies instructional model
- Implementing the model in your competency-based secondary classroom with practical strategies, real-world examples, and artifacts of CBE in action
- Facilitating your students’ journey to proficiency with academic content and the development of important mindsets and life skills
- Developing the correct mental approach to realize the full potential of CBE
Product Code: BKL055, EKL045
Page Count: 232
“Robert J. Marzano, Alexander S. Aschoff, and Ashley Avila have done a great job developing a framework for how to move toward competency-based secondary learning systems in their book, Teaching in a Competency-Based Secondary School. They offer constructs for developing clear learning goals, proficiency scales, and assessments that will save you decades of work, helping you move your teachers and students toward a better learning future.”
“The authors of this book make a compelling case for the use of competency-based systems in secondary schools. I challenge any educator to read this book and not feel morally compelled to shift their practices in order to better meet the needs of all learners. It is a step-by-step how-to guide that recognizes the dual need for classroom teachers to provide students with both instruction of new knowledge and skills and support so they can self-manage their own learning in a move-when-ready, competency-based classroom setting.”
“Competency-based learning is gaining significant momentum in schools across the United States and beyond. Marzano, Aschoff, and Avila provide much-needed guidance and practical resources for those in secondary schools looking to understand the research base behind competency-based learning and ultimately put this theory into practice. Teaching in a Competency-Based Secondary School is a must for those seeking to engage, support, and ultimately empower students as agents of their own learning.”
When can I access my eBook? Your eBook will be accessible through VitalSource once your payment has been processed.*
*When using a check or purchase order, the order submitted online will not be processed until Solution Tree receives the check or a copy of the signed official purchase order. Your purchase order must note payment terms of net 30 days. We cannot process purchase orders that do not note these payment terms. Please submit all payments to [email protected].
How do I access my eBook?
To access your eBook:
- Create a free VitalSource account by visiting VitalSource.com. If you already have a VitalSource account, please log in to your account.
- Paste the redemption code that Solution Tree will email you in the “Redemption Code” field on VitalSource.com/Redeem. (Note: You can also access your redemption code within your Solution Tree account under the “eBook” section.)
- Click “Redeem.”
- Enjoy! Once your code is redeemed, your book will be added to your VitalSource Bookshelf and can be read anytime, anywhere.
What are the technical requirements for accessing the eBook? A VitalSource account is required. To sign up for your free account, please visit VitalSource.com.
What are the shipping and handling costs? There are no shipping or handling costs associated with eBooks. For paperback and hardcover book purchases, standard shipping costs apply. Please visit the Product Orders page for more information on shipping and handling costs.
Can I purchase multiple copies of the same eBook? Bulk orders are not currently available through the website. Website purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. If you want to order multiple copies of an eBook, please contact customer support at [email protected].
What if I need to request a refund on my eBook order? RETURN POLICY: We are unable to accept returns or cancel previously placed eBook orders.