Reading and Writing Instruction for Second- and Third-Grade Classrooms in a PLC at Work®
Discover how to design standards-aligned instruction, assessment, and intervention that support the literacy development of every second- and third-grader. This resource contains best practices for collaborative teams looking to improve their students’ reading comprehension.
Your instructional strategy guide to supporting the literacy development of every second- and third-grader
Fully prepare students to begin the pivotal transition from learning to read to reading to learn. Written for individual teachers and collaborative teams, this resource outlines how to craft instruction to ensure every learner masters literacy expectations in second and third grade. Readers will gain a wealth of strategies and practices for designing standards-aligned instruction, developing quality assessment, providing timely interventions, and more.
- Understand the role professional learning communities (PLCs) play in literacy development.
- Learn how teams of teachers can maximize their collective strengths to make profound impacts on student literacy and reading comprehension.
- Obtain instructional strategies and tools, such as the pre-unit protocol (PREP), for unpacking and clarifying literacy standards.
- Observe how to collaboratively score quality assessments as a team and conduct effective data inquiry and analysis.
- Study the powerful impact literacy has on student engagement and inclusivity in grades two and three.
InstructionLiteracyProfessional Learning Communities at Work®Professional Learning Communities
Product Code: BKF915
Published By: Solution Tree
Page Count: 312
“Packed with theory and practice ideas, this book is sure to help educators maximize their collaborative team time and improve teaching delivery. Sarah Gord and Kathryn E. Sheridan zoom in on second and third grade to give a comprehensive view of what is possible when teams boost targeted instructional strategies, differentiation, and collaboration.”
“Finally, a grade-band-specific book that thoughtfully aligns literacy instruction to the PLC process, achieving two goals simultaneously. Any district currently revising curriculum would benefit greatly from this book.”
“This wonderfully detailed guide for teachers is guaranteed to be a well-used resource for demystifying reading and writing instruction in second and third grade. Teachers will appreciate the practical strategies for planning, teaching, and assessing students’ progress. Sarah Gord and Kathryn E. Sheridan clearly know their subject well and convey the supporting research in a powerful, teacher-friendly way. Plan to keep this book on your desk for easy reference.”
Explore these powerful tools to help reach your goals.