Effective Instruction & Assessment for Reaching English Learners
This book provides educators with a whole-school approach to helping English learners achieve academically while they learn English.
Utilizing new research and field studies, this book provides a whole-school approach to helping English learners (ELs) achieve academically while they learn English. Discover why ELs learn better when language, literacy, and subject matter are integrated, and learn how to prepare all teachers in a school to meet the needs of this growing student population.
See the other books in The Leading Edge™ series.
- Understand why schoolwide buy-in for an improved EL program is essential for EL student success.
- Discover what an integrated approach to teaching ELs means and what it might look like in a Common Core State Standards framework.
- Consider factors—such as home language and experience with English outside of school—that affect how readily ELs adapt to English-based teaching.
- Learn how data from common assessment of ELs can serve as a counterbalance to data from high-stakes testing.
- Review strategies that schools can adapt to prepare all teachers to be teachers of academic language, reading, and writing.
Product Code: BKF777
Published By: Solution Tree
Page Count: 288
“In an educational environment that values high-stakes testing and accountability, instruction in content area language is especially critical for ELLs. The question is, what are the most effective schoolwide initiatives and instructional models for improving the learning outcomes of ELLs? Experts who study and teach ELLs provide answers in this anthology of classroom-tested and research-based strategies. The most current research helps to clarify misconceptions, especially the belief that ELLs are alike in their backgrounds, proficiencies, and needs. In addition to outline effective instructional strategies for teaching ELLs, the contributors offer practical ways for creating and implementing a whole-school approach—one that includes teachers, policy makers, school boards, administrators, and even state legislatures.”
Explore these powerful tools to help reach your goals.