The Language of Possibility
How Teachers’ Words Shape School Culture and Student Achievement
Does your language lift or limit your students? In this essential resource, school improvement expert Michael Roberts uses brain-based research to address the stifling effects “teacher talk” has on student growth and school culture.
Experience the convenience of eBooks! Access your eBooks anytime, anywhere on any desktop, Android, or iOS device through VitalSource. eBook purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. Please visit our FAQ for more information.
Increase empathic communication in your classroom
Language can help lift or limit students. Based on brain research and authentic classroom experience, this book will help you get back to the optimism of teaching by reconnecting with the possibility of each student. From classroom practice to systemwide policies, readers will find strategies for shifting the way we approach teaching to cultivate the gifts each student has to offer.
Teachers and leaders will:
- Understand how limiting language stifles student growth and academic success
- Utilize figures and other resources to better recognize limiting language and replace it with positive language
- Reflect on the culture of your own school and improve collaborative work
- Access and analyze data that will equip you to better handle obstacles in developing your professional learning community
- Improve communication among all classrooms within your school or district
Product Code: BKG048, EKF610
Published By: Solution Tree
Page Count: 152
“Michael Roberts has created an essential guide for educators to reflect on and improve the way they think and speak about students and colleagues. Too often, educators unknowingly close doors for learners by using all-too-common limiting language. In The Language of Possibility, Roberts expertly demonstrates how to identify and replace limiting language with the language of possibility. If you wish to make lasting positive changes in key areas such as student motivation, teacher collaboration, and meeting the needs of underserved students, put this book on your required reading list.”
“The Language of Possibility is an unflinchingly bold attempt to earn our focus and turn it away from the marginalizing language that has plagued education for decades. Roberts sets our gaze on what’s possible when educators lean into the language of power and promise and how it showcases the brilliance inside each and every student we serve. The Language of Possibility is part of the bedrock on which belonging is built, and belonging is a critical and overlooked component of equity.”
Explore these powerful tools to help reach your goals.
When can I access my eBook? Your eBook will be accessible through VitalSource once your payment has been processed.*
*When using a check or purchase order, the order submitted online will not be processed until Solution Tree receives the check or a copy of the signed official purchase order. Your purchase order must note payment terms of net 30 days. We cannot process purchase orders that do not note these payment terms. Please submit all payments to [email protected].
How do I access my eBook?
To access your eBook:
- Create a free VitalSource account by visiting VitalSource.com. If you already have a VitalSource account, please log in to your account.
- Paste the redemption code that Solution Tree will email you in the “Redemption Code” field on VitalSource.com/Redeem. (Note: You can also access your redemption code within your Solution Tree account under the “eBook” section.)
- Click “Redeem.”
- Enjoy! Once your code is redeemed, your book will be added to your VitalSource Bookshelf and can be read anytime, anywhere.
What are the technical requirements for accessing the eBook? A VitalSource account is required. To sign up for your free account, please visit VitalSource.com.
What are the shipping and handling costs? There are no shipping or handling costs associated with eBooks. For paperback and hardcover book purchases, standard shipping costs apply. Please visit the Product Orders page for more information on shipping and handling costs.
Can I purchase multiple copies of the same eBook? Bulk orders are not currently available through the website. Website purchases are limited to one eBook per title, per account. If you want to order multiple copies of an eBook, please contact customer support at [email protected].
What if I need to request a refund on my eBook order? RETURN POLICY: We are unable to accept returns or cancel previously placed eBook orders.